While the car sat upside down wedged on the concrete barrier with the engine bay on fire Danny had no idea what was going on, he was completely out of it. Thankfully not everyone was in the same state as Danny.

The moment it was obvious that the car was on fire the stewards initiated a full track caution and a red light situation after the final chicane. All tracked cars would be called to an immediate stop, in single file, before the exit of the chicane, while all cars in the pits were ordered to remain parked.

At the same time as the caution was called the fully suited fire crews scurried from their positions and headed straight for the crash scene with fire extinguishers in hand. At the exit of pit lane, at the opposite end of the start finished straight, the five crew on the fire tanker were dispatched. With no cars on the track the fire tanker was able to easily preform a U-turn and race down the start finish straight in reverse to the scene of the accident.

By the time the fire tanker arrived on the scene eight fire marshals were on site and dousing the engine bay with their extinguishers. Fuel had escaped from the exposed fuel lines but thanks to the quick response of the on field marshals the fire was under control, but still burning.

Milliseconds after the fire tanker was dispatched the ambulance crew were running towards their ambulance, kitted up and ready to go. Their trip to the scene of the accident should have been similar in length and time to the fire tanker however they were partially parked in by the pace car that had taken off when the field was under caution on to stop when the track went into a full stop situation.

Because everything happened in a split second the driver of the pace car was still in his seat and was quickly able to reverse his car out of the way of the ambulance. The delay was only long enough for the driver of the ambulance to say the word “fuck” and before anyone even knew that there could have been a delay the situation had been remedied.

With the higher volume and the higher pressure of the hoses on the fire tanker the fire went from under control to completely out in a matter of seconds. Red hot flames that reached out from the underside of the engine disappeared and the crew from the fire tanker immediately began moving around the car to make sure the fire was completely extinguished before allowing anyone else near the car.

Although he was unconscious and upside down Danny, like all racing drivers, was wearing his fireproof undies, the suit under his race suit to protect his skin from fire, so for the short time his car was burning his risk from the flames was low but not one of the fire marshals working to get the fire out was thinking about that while they were fighting the fire. For them the fire was there and it needed to be put out in the quickest time possible so that they could get in and do the next part of their job, removing Danny from the car.

As the ambulance crew arrived on scene the first of the fire crew were advancing on the Lamborghini to extract Danny from the car. Preserving the car was not on the agenda pulling Danny out was and even before the ambulance crew were out of the ambulance one of the fire marshals was using the jaws of life to cut the drivers side door off the car.

The jaws of life made light work of the steel and plastic of the car cutting, tearing and peeling the door of the Lamborghini off as if it was the lid on a tin of sardines. Three marshals removed the door and carried it clear of the scene as the Ambulance crew stepped up to the car with their medical bags.

An extremely quick check of Danny’s vitals was made and when it was confirmed he was still out of it the crews worked together to support him and cut him free of his racing harness. The crews worked quickly and carefully, without being able to ask Danny if he was pinned or where his pain was they had to work blind but they did it and did it with a pace only true professionals could achieve.

It only took the crew three minutes from when the door had been dislodged from its hinges to having Danny out of the car and on the stretcher, but not a single person present was counting.

On the stretcher Danny’s race suit was cut from his neck to just above his waist, his fire suit was cut in a similar way and two of the ambulance crew began taking his vitals for a second time. At the same moment a third man pulled the racing glove off Danny’s right hand and cut his way up the sleeve of his race suit. Once enough of Danny arm was exposed the man then set about injection Danny’s arm with a butterfly needle so an IV drip could be connected.

While all that was going on at the top end of Danny’s body another male, and a female ambulance officer looked at and diagnosed Danny’s leg where the gear stick was still jammed into it and bleeding profusely.

When it was deemed that Danny’s injuries and his unconscious state warranted him being transported to hospital the crew made their moves quickly and the gurney was pushed to the waiting ambulance with haste.

At the same time as Danny was being pushed into the ambulance Tracey was standing less than twenty metres away.

Previous Racing story here.